Experience Hypnobirthing Online

Hypnobirthing Support

Midland Regional Hospital Mullingar Were AMAZING!

"​Hi Aisling, I hope you are well. Just a quick check in - I delivered a healthy baby boy on 3rd June 2018 weighing 9 lb 7. I used hypnobirthing, a TENS machine and a small bit of gas and air. I delivered and laboured (after 6cm) in the home from home room, a less clinical much more homely environment offered by Midland Regional Hospital Mullingar which was also amazing - it had audio facilities, aromatherapy, dimmed lights, black out blinds, and birthing equipment like balls and beanbags.

I managed without an epidural which I was so pleased with as I was able to be “present” for the labour and birth, and to work with my body when i has contractions. My labour was long - it was 28 hours, but the hypnobirthing (especially the audios) helped so so much! Thank you, Tony and I are delighted with our little bundle of joy and can’t believe he is a month old today already.

Our baba is a really calm baby, active and alert and is thriving in all of his health and growth checks. He is thriving with exclusive breastfeeding and piling on healthy weight. I do credit a calm birth experience for a lot of his calm demeanour, and to the bond between him and I as he was able to enter into this world in a calm, safe and welcoming environment. Labouring and birthing without an epidural was a very empowering experience - I wanted this as I know both labour and birth is safer for mom and baby without use of an epidural. I strongly believe that I couldn’t have got through a 28 hour labour and birth without the calming and engaging experience that hypnobirthing enabled me to have.

We will definitely be recommending you - there is no question that my son’s birth was a calmer and much more relaxed experience with hypnobirthing. At one point when I was 8cm dilated I fell asleep on the beanbag!!

Take care, and thank you again.Tricia, Tony and Donal"

tapping hands

 Hypnobirthing Game Changer

Apologies for not contacting you sooner, we had our little girl 2 weeks early (induced because of pre-eclampsia) and things have been a little frenetic. We just wanted to thank you for all of your good advice and help. In the end, it was a pretty difficult labour (even though we had our birth preferences all printed up, in the end, circumstances meant that they all had to be ignored, but that's the way these things go sometimes),

Trish was induced on a Sunday at 9 am, and baby Evelyn wasn't delivered until Tuesday at 09:16. The first induction caused her very painful contractions, the breathing techniques you showed us were an absolute godsend, she swears if she hadn't got them to hand she wouldn't have been able to handle the pain. As it was she was still in some (manageable) discomfort. The following day they administered a second labour inducement, she was able to take Pethadine, but again, the breathing and visualisations were crucial to helping her manage the pain. Her water didn't break until Monday night.

As you can imagine, 36 hours is exhausting, so she opted for the epidural just to be able to sleep. We both had had some anxiety about the epidural, but due to how you had shown us to manage anxiety, she had been able to put her mind at ease. Still, it was another 10 hours before she was actually ready to deliver. In the end, we were two steps away from a C section, luckily the Venteuse worked.

Baby Evelyn was born 6lbs 1 oz, and we couldn't be more chuffed with her. We just wnated to thank you for all your help, it really was a game changer.

Jason, Trish and Evelyn

tapping hands

I Felt In Control, I was Not Afraid, Hypnobirthing Helped me & my Baby...

My birth plan was to practice my breathing and hypnobirthing exercises at home on my exercise ball until I needed to go to the hospital. I also had a TENS machine which I wanted to use to help manage the pain. My plan then was to have an epidural in the hospital. None of this went according to plan but I still had a positive birth experience!!

At 37 weeks pregnant, I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia and was admitted to the hospital. My pregnancy went from being low risk to high risk. I felt fine but my blood pressure had skyrocketed and there was a large amount of protein in my urine. I was admitted to the 14 bed antenatal ward in Holles St for monitoring for several days. This was a very scary experience for me as I have a fear of hospitals and the sounds around me of women in labour were quite frightening at first. I listened to my hypnobirthing tracks when things were getting a bit stressful, this calmed me down.

After 5 days in the antenatal ward being monitored, the decision was made to induce me. I was happy to agree to this I felt ready to have my baby at that point. I was given gel two days in a row. I started having surges after the second dose. My waters were then broken which was a very strange sensation, not painful but definitely unpleasant. Almost immediately I felt much stronger surges which were coming very frequently and regularly. I was able to manage them using my breathing exercises while sitting on my exercise ball, I felt in control of these surges and was not afraid of them as I knew they would pass and that each surge brought me closer to my baby being born. I told the midwife that my surges were very strong but she said it was too early to examine me as I could still (just about) talk through the pain and was only feeling pain in my back. I was offered Pethidine which I refused as I felt the pain was manageable for me. I also used a TENS machine (but on its lowest setting as the midwife told me that labour hadn't really started yet!!). After being told by the senior midwife that labour was probably only starting, a very supportive student midwife stayed by my side and urged me to request an examination as she thought I might be in active labour as my contractions were so frequent and regular. When I was examined I was told I was 4cm dilated, the student midwife was right. I was then rushed off to the delivery ward by wheelchair, where I was told I was actually 10cm and the baby was on its way and it would be too late for an epidural. At that point I screamed, not out of pain but because I had lost control of the situation. I was offered gas and air and used it to steady my breathing, taking deep breaths as we learned in class. I again felt in control of the situation and after only 10 minutes in the delivery ward, my baby was born.

I think that hypnobirthing definitely helped me manage my perception of pain. While it was painful, it was very manageable and I'm so glad that I didn't have the epidural in the end. I hardly had any postpartum pain but was kept a further two nights for monitoring because of the pre-eclampsia. I had barely any postpartum pain and have had no incontinence issues so far. Doing my pelvic floor exercises religiously definitely paid off!! I only ended up with one small internal stitch which never caused me any pain. The midwives were very surprised by this as he was born so quickly and because I was a first time mum. I never did perineal massage as I found it too difficult, Instead, I used a device similar to the Epi-No (called Aniball) which I think helped me avoid tears. It helps you to practice pushing and breathing while using it and I'm certain it helped make the pushing stage very easy for me. While I'd definitely recommend the Aniball, a small word of warning! I would advise women not to inflate it beyond 20cm as it caused a tiny amount of spotting on one occasion after I used it. I then visited Holles St A&E who said it had caused a small bruise so they recommended not to inflate it too much.

Although it had its ups and downs due to my pre-eclampsia diagnosis, I had a positive birth experience and would be happy for you to share my story with any mums to be. Sue & Pete and baby Ross

tapping hands